1. Ask mom if she would please help you by slicing the watermelon and cantaloupe into slices about 1/2 thick and cutting away the rind. You’ll also need help cutting the pineapple and maybe washing and taking the leaves off the strawberries.
2. You meanwhile can peel the bananas and use a butter knife to cut them into chunks.
3. Arrange your fruit in bowls so that you can reach them easily.
4. Lay the melon on a cutting board and use the cookie cuts to make fun shapes.
5. Now come the tricky part putting the fruit on the skewers. One end of each skewer is very pointy and boy, will that hurt if you push it all the way through the piece of fruit and into you!
6. We hold the piece of fruit by the edges and hold it up where we can see where are fingers are and where the point is headed. Then we push the pointy end straight into the middle of the fruit, well away from our fingers. You have to use your imagination a little to figure out where the point is going to come out and make sure your fingers aren’t in the way.
7. You might want to practice with some thick pieces like the strawberries or the bananas before you try the cookie cutter shaped fruit.
8. Add more fruit until the skewer is almost full then lay it on a plate. Put the plate into the refrigerator until your ready to serve your kabobs.